CuthbertWhite was established in July 2011 to provide a true, independent real estate advisory business with an absolute commitment to client service and out-performance.
Owner-managed and based in the heart of Scotland's capital, Edinburgh, we advise the owners, occupiers and developers of commercial property on a Scotland and sector-wide basis.
Specialising in capital markets consultancy and commercial rental property, CuthbertWhite has forged a market-leading reputation for accurate, dynamic office agency and development services within our local markets – underpinning investment analysis and maximising client returns.
Market-facing deal experience and a straight-forward approach to the advice we provide forms the core of what we do and the long-term relationships we seek to foster.
We look forward to working with you.
Meet the Team
As Director of Agency & Development, Chris provides a full range of commercial rental property services to both the landlord and occupier markets, with a particular focus on best-in-class tenant representation advice and occupier services, as well as development and disposal advice to landlords.Phone: +44(0)7989 395165
As Director of Agency & Development, Chris provides a full range of commercial property services to both the landlord and occupier markets, with a particular focus on best-in-class tenant representation advice and occupier services, as well as development and disposal advice to landlords.
A graduate of Newcastle and Aberdeen Universities, Chris started his career in commercial property with Colliers Jardine in Hong Kong, followed by Jones Lang LaSalle in Glasgow and Roxburgh & Co in Edinburgh. He joined the Edinburgh office of Cushman & Wakefield in 2004 where he was quickly appointed Partner and subsequently Head of Agency & Development in Scotland.
In 2009 Chris formed Chris Cuthbert Property, before setting up CuthbertWhite together with Nick White in 2011.
Chris has provided advice on numerous commercial property transactions involving a broad spectrum of clients and sectors; key professional highlights include:
- Letting of Telereal Trillium's Argyle House to The University of Edinburgh (60,000 sqft)
- Letting of Scottish Widows’ flagship office development Exchange Place, Edinburgh (220,000 sqft)
- Back to back acquisition/disposal for ACH Shoosmiths – letting of new offices at Saltire Court, Edinburgh (11,500 sq ft) and sale of existing offices on Queen Street, Edinburgh for residential development (9,000 sq ft)
- Advising on the development and marketing of Charlotte House, South Charlotte Street, Edinburgh for CBRE Global Investors (13,000 sqft)
- Advising F&C Reit Asset Management on the refurbishment and letting of OneTwoFive Princes Street, Edinburgh (25,000 sq ft)
- Re-gearing the lease of 90A George Street for ESPC (Edinburgh Solicitors Property Centre), including refurbishment advice & cost savings over the lease term (10,000 sq ft)
- Pre-Let acquisition of prime Grade A offices for Morton Fraser WS at Quartermile Two, Edinburgh (36,500 sqft)
- Development, marketing and letting advice to Kilmartin Property on “The Cube”, Leith Street, Edinburgh (65,000 sqft)
- The purchase, conversion and letting of OneSixty Dundee Street on behalf of Halladale (45,000 sq ft)
- Sale of the City of Edinburgh Council’s £40m property portfolio
- For further detail of Chris’ professional career please take a look at his LinkedIn profile.
MA (Hons) MSc MRICS
As Director of Agency & Development, Nick provides specialist commercial rental property advice to a range of clients to include fund managers, property companies, local authorities, private and public businesses, HNWIs, banks and charities on a time-costed and performance basis to suit.Phone: +44(0)7786 171266
A direct relative of Charles White (formerly of Charles White & Son), Nick’s family has been advising on Edinburgh property since 1840. He graduated from Aberdeen and Reading Universities before joining Knight Frank & Rutley in London as a graduate surveyor. Promoted to partner in 2002, Nick returned to Edinburgh with Knight Frank LLP in 2004 before moving ‘client-side’ to CALA Properties, where he was appointed Regional Acquisitions Director.
Following 24 months as a senior development consultant to the City of Edinburgh Council’s Economic Development team, Nick joined forces with Chris Cuthbert to establish CuthbertWhite in 2011.
Nick has provided ongoing consultancy and transactional advice to numerous clients across a wide range of sectors; key professional highlights include:
- Development and letting of The Charlotte Square Collection, Edinburgh (45,000 sqft)
- Disposal of Capital House, Festival Square, Edinburgh to Bank of New York Mellon (55,000 sqft)
- Arms-length purchase of income-producing portfolio from private City of Edinburgh Council subsidiary company EDI for £62.4m
- Warehouse disposal to Morrisons and office disposal to Aptuit at The Pyramids Business Park, Bathgate (120,000 sqft and 20,000 sqft)
- Purchase of 120 Dundas Street and 1 Osborne Terrace (65,000 sqft total)
- Office disposal in Guildford to Syngenta and simultaneous investment sale to Topland (46,000 sqft)
- Site acquisition of Edinburgh Gate, Newbridge (62 acres)
- Ongoing strategic planning and development advice to luxury UK leisure operator Natural Retreats
Nick is a member of the British Council of Offices (BCO) and Urban Land Institute.
For further details of Nick’s professional career, please take a look at his LinkedIn profile.
BLE (Hons) MRICS
As Director of Investment, Stephen provides a full range of investment consultancy services to a broad spectrum of clients from niche property companies up to major funds and institutions, with a focus on acquisition, disposal, asset management, funding and financial modelling.Phone: +44(0)7971 809226
As a graduate of Aberdeen University, Stephen joined Roxburgh & Co where he worked his way up the professional ladder from graduate surveyor to Investment Director before joining the Edinburgh office of Montagu Evans where he was appointed partner.
He joined Chris (his former colleague from Roxburgh & Co) and Nick as Director of Investment at CuthbertWhite in 2013.
Stephen has acted for numerous investors in the disposal and acquisition of assets from all sectors – including offices, shopping centres, supermarkets, retail warehousing and high street retail. Key professional highlights include:
- Advising USS, jointly with DTZ Debenham Tie Leung, on the acquisition of the Hilton, Newcastle a modern purpose built 4 star Hotel let entirely to Hilton for approximately £38m. The Hotel has 254 bedrooms.
- Acquisition of Guildhall, Glasgow, a Grade A office building centrally located, extending to 145,000 sqft in the region of £29m on behalf of Rockspring Investment Managers
- Acquisition of The Mall, Aberdeen for £50m on behalf of Rockspring Investment Managers (200,000 sqft shopping centre)
- Forward commitment of Sainsbury’s, Westfield Road, Edinburgh for Hermes Real Estate Management, resulting in the negotiation of a letting of the remainder of the premises to Sainsbury’s during the construction phase (105,000 sqft retail warehouse)
- Acquisition of the South East Office Portfolio comprising five buildings across Richmond, Guildford, Kingston and Crawley
- Disposal of a portfolio of mixed use assets located throughout Central Scotland on behalf of Antler Property Investments
- Acquisition of Atrium Court, Waterloo Place, Glasgow, a Grade A office building in the city centre, on behalf of USS (100,000 sqft)
- Acquisition of Apex 123, Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh for Catalyst Capital (100,000 sqft)
- Acquisition of Kingsway Retail Park, East Kilbride for Standard Life UK Property Trust for £18m
- Disposal of Quartermile Two, Edinburgh for £23m on behalf of Gladedale Group (58,000 sqft)
For further information about Stevie's professional career, take a look at his LinkedIn profile.
Gavin works alongside Stephen in the capital markets team working on investment disposals and acquisitions. He advises a range of private investors, funds and property companies.Phone: +44(0)7982 716633
Gavin Scott joined CuthbertWhite in July 2015 after graduating from Heriot-Watt University, with a 2:1 in Planning & Property Development.
He passed his APC in November 2017 and, after spending two years of his training working mainly in agency and development, Gavin is now applying the skills he learned in his new role within the capital markets team.
Gavin has assisted and advised on several transactions, to include:
- Acquisition of an industrial unit in Broxburn on behalf of a private client
- Assisting Stephen Kay with the disposal of Apex 123, Edinburgh on behalf of Catalyst Capital
- Assisting Stephen Kay with the disposal of Erskine Court, Stirling on behalf of Hudson Advisors UK Ltd
- Assisting Nick White with the sale of Blenheim House on behalf of Belgate Estates
- Letting of two suites in Prospect House on behalf of CBRE Global Investors
As an Assistant Surveyor, Sara supports both Chris and Nick on a variety of Landlord, Tenant and Development projects whilst also working towards her APC.Phone: +44(0)7810 117888
Sara joined CuthbertWhite in September 2017 after completing her Masters (with distinction) in Real Estate and Planning at Heriot-Watt University. Sara also has an undergraduate degree in Interior Architecture from Oxford Brookes and has a keen eye for building design, specification and end development.
Before joining CuthbertWhite, Sara worked for Aardvarks Safaris selling luxury holidays to Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands. Three years at Aardvark Safaris allowed Sara to travel extensively, covering most of Eastern and Southern Africa.
Sara grew up in Midlothian and went to Loretto School in Musselburgh where she enjoyed the sporting aspects of school. She continued playing lacrosse at University and has played for Capital Lacrosse Club in Edinburgh.
Although Sara enjoys sporting ventures, it is much easier getting a horse to do the work and she currently has a young horse who she is bringing on to event.
Charles Guest, formerly a partner in Ryden LLP and one of the best known commercial property agents in Scotland, has joined CuthbertWhite as a consultant.
Charles brings to the table an extensive client base, a UK-wide network of public and private sector contacts and deep deal experience having been involved in many of Scotland’s most successful office developments.
Non-Executive Director and Chairman
Charles has joined CuthbertWhite to bring his considerable business expertise from his career of over 35 years as a commercial property and private client lawyer to oversee the continued growth of CuthbertWhite Ltd.
Robyn McCartney joined CuthbertWhite as Office Manager and PA to the Directors in 2015, bringing her extensive administrative experience to the team. She previously worked with Full Circle Lead Generation and, more recently, BDG Architecture + Design.Phone: +44(0)131 202 1880